Welcome to Department of Plant Protection
Agricultural productivity in Pakistan is prone to the problem of pests and diseases that cause 20-50% percent economic losses. The Department of Plant Protection (DPP) with its following wings performs regulatory, advisory, research, and extension roles in the arena of plant protection in Pakistan.
a) Locust Control
b) Arial Pest Control
c) Pesticides Management & Registration
d) Plant Quarantine
e) Planning and Development (P & D)
The major functions of the Department of Plant Protection are as under:
• Enforcement of Pakistan Plant Quarantine Act 1976 Pakistan Plant Quarantine Rules 1967 and the International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures (ISPMs) developed under WTO-SPS negotiated International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC)
• Enforcement of Agricultural Pesticides Ordinance 1971, Agricultural Pesticides (Amendment) Act 1992, and Agricultural Pesticides (Amendment) Act 1997
Survey and Control
• Locust survey and control in desert areas in coordination with FAO and locust affected countries
• Control of locust by ground and aerial operation
• Aerial Pest Control in orchards and field crops
• Focus/ targeted research on various pest diagnostics and pest mitigation measures in commodities (vapor heat treatment, hot water treatment, cold treatment, irradiation treatment, etc.)
• Advise the Government of Pakistan on all aspects of plant protection including international obligations.