Karachi, 02nd February, 2022; 22nd meeting of the Standing Committee on National Food Security and Research (NFS&R) was held today under the Chairmanship of Rao Muhammad Ajmal Khan, MNA at 11:00 A.M. in Committee Room of DPP, Karachi.
2) The meeting started with recitation from the Holy Quran then the Committee decided to proceed with the agenda.
3) The Committee was briefed by the Director General, DPP Dr. Muhammad Tariq Khan about the performance of the department. During briefing it was informed to the Committee that originally at the time of creation of this department the strength of employees was 794, which is still the same even after lapse of so many years. Even the department is generating the revenues much more than its total expenses. It was also briefed to the Committee that there was a long-standing complaint against low-quality pesticides being sold in the market. Keeping in view the same department has taken initiative and now it can be said with certainty that the pesticides being sold in the markets are 99% pure and verified by the department.
4) On the issue of Locust, it was informed to the Committee that there were originally 12 aircrafts with the department for the arial spray for protection and control of Locust, but now only four are in working conditions out of which three are being used for the spray and the one is used for the training purpose. It was also informed to the committee that in the last attack if the Locust helicopters of the armed forces were used for the purpose of arial spray. In response to the query of the Committee about the auction of the outdated air crafts, it was informed to the Committee that once the process was initiated for auction but it was cancelled due to low bid price offered. It was proposed by members of the Committee that instead of selling it at low-cost price it would be much appropriate if the same is grounded at various conspicuous places of departments in remembrance to the services of these crafts. Finally, the Committee recommended that the department shall expedite the process for auction of all these unused and grounded air crafts and mange to purchase new ones with latest technology for future use. It was also recommended by that the department shall add the proposal for purchase of new air crafts in the PSDP.
5) The Committee recommended to regularize the services of Entomologists working on Contract basis in the Department of Plant Protection.
6) It was briefed to the Committee the Drone technology in agriculture sector is requiring NOC from Ministry of Interior. The department has forwarded a request to the Government for developing the Drone policy for usage of the same in the agriculture sector. All the usage of drone in private sector for agriculture purposes is illegal and unlawful. It was recommended by the Committee that, a brief note for use of Drone shall be initiated by the Ministry and take up the same with Ministry of Interior on priority basis. It was also recommended by the Committee that the Ministry shall also place the said proposal before the Committee.
7) The Committee appreciated the efforts and performance of the DPP. The Committee extended special thanks to the Minister for his interest in promotion of agriculture sector as well his participation in the meeting through video link.
8) Hon. Members/MNAs/Movers Rai Muhammad Murtaza Iqbal, Makhdoom Zain Hussain Qureshi, Mian Muhammad Shafiq, Mr. Kamal Uddin, Dr. Nausheen Hamid and Minister for National Food Security and Research, Joint Secretary Ministry DPP, along with their staff attended the meeting.